CSS Exam in Pakistan | General Information
What is CSS Exam in Pakistan: CSS Exam stands for Central Superior Service Examination. The exam is conducted annually by Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC), Islamabad on the requisition of Establishment Division, Government of Pakistan to recruit new officers in basic scale 17 against vacant seats. The aspirants from all over Pakistan can appear in CSS Exam and only those, who reflect with Excellent Result in the test, are recruited and assigned key posts of the state. While their induction into government service the successful candidates are allotted one of following Service Groups according to the assessment of the authority. After their induction, the candidates are assigned posts corresponding to their allotted service group:
- Pakistan Customs Services
- Commerce & Trade Group
- Foreign Service of Pakistan
- Inland Revenue Service of Pakistan
- Information Services of Pakistan
- Military Lands & Cantonment Group
- Office Management and Secretariat Group
- Pakistan Administrative Service
- Pakistan Audit and Accounts Service
- Police Service of Pakistan
- Postal Group
- Railways (Commercial & Transport) Group
Introduction of CSS Service: The Sub-Continent remained under British Rule for 90 years (1857 to 1947) and the British Government introduced the civil service on the analogy of civil service of United Kingdom. The Indian Civil Service (initially known as Imperial Civil Service) was taken over the administrative control of Sub-Continent in 1858 for implementation of the policies of the Imperial Rule and service of general public. Initially, locals were not allowed to compete against the officer level posts; with the passage of time they were also allowed to compete for the Civil Service Exam.
Pakistan came into being on 14th August, 1947 and its own civil service was established from the available officers who opted for Pakistan, resulting in formation of Civil Service of Pakistan (CSP). It was re-framed and re-established in 1971 under "Chapter I: Part-XII, Article 240" of the Constitution of Pakistan which gave it foundation and constitutional status.
Parts of CSS Exam
CSS Exam consists of the following parts with 1500 marks in toto:
- Written Examination - 1200 marks
- Medical Test
- Psychological Test / Assessment & Interview and Viva Voce - 300 marks
To appear in CSS Exam, the applicant must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
Gender: Both male and female including special persons are eligible.
Nationality Criteria: Candidate must be citizen of Pakistan or permanent resident of the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Qualification for CSS:
- Must have a Bachelor Degree with atleast 2nd Division from a recognized university of Pakistan or equivalent qualification from foreign university recognized by Higher Education Commission (HEC).
- Candidates having 3rd Division in their Bachelor Degree can only apply for the exam if they have secured higher division in the Master Degree
Age Limit Criteria:
- The age limit for CSS is 21 to 30 years
- The age limit is relaxed by two years (making 32 years as maximum age) of candidates currently serving as government employee or belonging to recognized tribes and areas.
- The upper age limit may be relaxed by two years in categories mentioned in Rule 6 of CSS Competitive Examination Rules - 2019 and onwards, subject to fulfillment of documentary requirements. The cutoff date for determining the eligibility of the candidate in terms of age, qualification, domicile etc, is 31st December, 2019.
CSS Exam Schedule
CSS Exam is conducted every year in February-March for which registration is made in October of previous year. FPSC has invited applications for CSS Exam 2020.
- Closing Date for Submission of Online-Application: 31st October, 2019
- Exam Date: Wednesday, 12th February, 2020.
How to Apply for CSS Exam 2020
Here are Application Guidelines to apply for CSS Exam 2020
- Apply online at www.fpsc.gov.pk during the period 1st October to 31st October, 2019
- Carefully fill the online form and check it before online submission. Take printout and dispatch hardcopy to FPSC on or before closing date. Any correction in the printed hardcopy of online form may be made by hand and initialed, before dispatch/submission to FPSC. Thereafter, no request for change in any entry of online application or its hardcopy would be accepted.
- Deposit, before the closing date, Rs.2200/- as examination fee in the nearest Govt. Treasury/ State Bank of Pakistan/National Bank of Pakistan under the account head "CO2101-Organs of State Exam fee (FPSC Receipt)
- Ensure that attested copies of all required documents, photographs & original treasury receipt of Rs.2200/- are attached with the hardcopy of online application form, before dispatching to Secretary FPSC, Islamabad.
- Choose the optional subjects correctly in accordance with Appendix-I of the Rules for CSS Competitive Examination.
- Optional subjects & examination centre once selected shall not be changed. No request in this regard shall be entertained after receipt of hardcopy.
- Correctly enter CNIC No. & date of birth in online form and in its hardcopy. Wrong entry shall lead to rejection of candidature.
- Download computer generated Admission Certificates from FPSC website
Strictly comply with the Rules of CSS Competitive Examination otherwise their candidature shall lead to rejection.
- Hardcopy of the online application must be dispatched in a separate envelope. Two or more applications in one envelope are not acceptable.
- Candidates are responsible for provision of correct & complete information.
- Strict policy/ Zero tolerance against cheating is followed by FPSC and candidates are required to be aware of it.
- Contact at the following numbers for further information or queries; UAN 051-111-000-248 OR 051-9223282, 051-9210702
CSS Exam Centres
Abbottabad, Bahawalpur, Dera Ghazi Khan, Dera Ismail Khan, Faisalabad, Gilgit, Gujranwala, Hyderabad, Islamabad, Karachi, Khuzdar, Lahore, Larkana, Multan, Muzaffarabad, Okara, Peshawar, Quetta, Rawalpindi, Sargodha, Sialkot, Skardu and Sukkur.
Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar and Quetta.
Basic Information about CSS Exam
- CSS Exam is conducted every year in February-March for which registration is made in October of previous year.
- A candidate cannot appear in CSS exam more than three times.
- The age of the applicant for CSS exam calculated on the 31st December of the year of applying. This means for applying for CSS 2020, your age on 31st December 2019 must not be more than 30 years or less than 21 years.
- Candidate has to appear in the four parts of CSS Exam i.e. written, medical, psychological test and Viva-voce.
- Written exam has six compulsory paper and six optional papers (to be selected from the list).
- The minimum mark for qualifying compulsory paper is 40% and for optional paper is 33%.
- The candidate qualifying the written test will be shortlisted for further parts medical, psychological test and Viva-voce.
- Candidate can apply for rechecking of his or her paper. Rechecking fee is Rs.500 per paper.
I have a question about my degree! I'm studying at western Sydney University in Australia at the moment. My bachelor degree is not completed yet but I want to appear in CSS exam next year. Is that possible to get admission before completing my bachelor degree?
Dear Ayyaz, Only candidates, who have done their graduation, can apply for CSS Exam so you need to complete your bachelor degree first.
Can a US citizen fitting the criteria apply for the CSS exam?
No, must be citizen of Pakistan
Can a dual citizen appear?
Asalam o alaikum
Hope so you all fine can a mechanical engineer will appear in CSS Exam. Really thankful to your response. Stay blessed
Dear Haris Khalil, Yes, Bachelor in engineering is eligible to apply.
Assalaam o alaikum Dear Habib sir thanks for information to me about css . Allah ap ko khubsurat umar de Ameen Ameen Ameen ..
Hi, what percentage is considered as second division?
Hi.sir recently I,m doing my job as legal adviser at directorate of education. My date of birth is 01/04/1986. Can I apply for this examination. Kindly respond me in case I,m eligible for it.
Sir can a student who has a degree of Botany can apply for CSS exams?
Salam dear sir My qualification bachelor of arts in sociology . Can I have apply for css examination . Please sir response me
Assalam o alaikom .
I am student of 10th class .
What should i do after matric for css exam
Explain me in details I will be very Thankfull
Expain me also that what I should do after matric for example what field i choose
Science or arts .
Aslam o alikum sir , my daughter is study in BS BIO Chemistry her last semester is going to end in June 2021 , Can She apply in CSS examination . 2022 befour result ?
Aslam o alikum, Can a dual citizen appear?
sir can MBBS doctor apply for it and also is it possible to be selected as a deputy commisionar or only assistant commissionar .waiting for your reply ....thank you
Sir my son is studying now in manjanbazam cadet collage in 1st year field ICS can he appear in CSS exam and when please give me details .
thanks and regards
Assalam o alaikum
Sir my age is 31 and i m graduated in urdu
Can i appear in css exam?
Which field should be best after FSC to become an assistant commissioner.