Statistical Officer Agriculture | Jobs, Exam, Promotion and His Salary
Agriculture is as old as human beings. The basic food facilities are provided by the agriculture in any society so the need to regularize the agriculture is as old as the human life on earth.
Agriculture Department: Agriculture Department, Government of the Punjab, is the most important department in agri based country like Pakistan. The department has many wings and directorates working under it one of them is Directorate of Agriculture Crop Reporting.
The Crop Reporting Service: The Crop Reporting Service in the Agriculture Department Punjab, through its field survey work, prepares agriculture estimates for Kharif and Rabi crops every year. The Crop Estimates are sent to the Federal Government for final publication, after subsequent approval from the Punjab Agricultural Statistics Coordination Board. The field reports of Agriculture Department, prepared by the field staff appointed in the selected villages, are given due importance for the Crop Estimation Work.
Punjab Agriculture Directorate Crop Reporting: The main objectives of the Punjab Agriculture Directorate Crop Reporting are to ascertain/ district wise area and production of all Kharif & Rabi Crops, through objective and subjective techniques.
Jobs of Statistical Officers: Job of Statistical Officers (Basic Pay Scale -16) is very important in Crop Reporting. Statistical Officer deals with the data on crops and processes it in laid down procedure. All the estimates of Agriculture Department relating to the Crop Reporting are based upon the work of the Statistical Officer.
Appointment of Statistical Officer: Positions of Statistical Officers (Basic Pay Scale-16) are filled by the Agriculture Department through the Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC) and suitable candidates are appointed against the posts of the Statistical Officer in Crop Reporting Directorate of Agriculture Department.
Qualification Requirements: As per its service rules "The Directorate of Agriculture Crop Reporting Punjab Service Rules, 1986" the required qualification for post of Statistical Officer is as follow:
- Master's Degree (Second Division) in Statistics / Mathematics / Economics with optional subject of Stat; methods from a recognized University: and,
- On Year's experience in the collection and tabulation of data and / or
Application of Stat methods and graphic presentation of data and/ or application.
Master's Degree from a foreign recognized university (other than an Indian University) in Statistics / Mathematics / Economics.
Method of Recruitment of Statistical Officer:
As per service rules, Statistical Officers are recruited against vacant seats with the following ratio:
- 90% of the available vacancies are filled by initial recruitment;
- 10% of the available vacancies are filled by promotion on seniority cum fitness basis from amongst Statistical Assistants (Basic Pay Scale-14) who have 10 years' experience as such.
Statistical Officer PPSC Exam:
PPSC generally conducts one paper test comprising of 80 percent of the subject material and 20% of the English. The successful candidates, who pass PPSC written exam, are interviewed and finally recommended to Agriculture Department against the posts of Statistical Officer.
Job Description of Statistical Officer:
- Acreage estimation surveys of all major and important minor crops
- Yield Estimation Surveys all major and important minor crops
- Crop Condition Surveys
- Collection and maintenance of Agricultural Inputs data
- Preparation and submission of fortnightly crop situation report
- Publication of Punjab Agricultural Statistics and other Leaflets depicting data
- Growers' Opinion Surveys on important crops (acreage & yield)
- Agricultural Machinery Survey (Tractors, Threshers, Harvesters, Tube-wells)
- Surveys on Harvest Prices (Farm Gate Prices)
- Cost of Production Surveys
- Other ad hoc enquiries on Agricultural Statistics
- Rains / Flood Damage Reports
Promotion Scope of Statistical Officer:
In Agriculture Department, Government of the Punjab, Statistical Officer is eligible for promotions by following steps and grades:
- Statistical Officer is promoted as Assistant Director (Stat), Basic Pay Scale-17 after 05 years' service experience.
- After promotion as Assistant Director (Stat), the Assistant Director (Stat) is eligible for promotion as Statistician (Basic Pay Scale - 18) after 05 years' service as such.
- The Statistician is eligible for promotion as Director of Agriculture (Grade-19) with 12 years' service in Basic Pay Scale-17 and above.
Salary of Statistical Officer:
In accordance with Pay Scales of the Government of Punjab, the Statistical Officers get their salary and other departmental allowances as admissible to Punjab Government employees.
What about eligibility criteria?
Vacancy announcement is expected soon, the eligibility criteria will also be prescribed therein.