Law Graduate Assessment Test for Enrollment as an Advocate with Bar Council
Law Graduate Assessment Test for eligibility to seek enrollment as an Advocate with Bar Council
The Hon'ble Supreme Court vide its Order dated March 6, 2018 has directed restoration of the Law Graduate Assessment Test (LAW-GAT) by the Pakistan Bar Council through the Higher Education Commission (HEC). The objective of the Assessment Test is to ensure proper scrutiny and evaluation of a law graduate desirous to join the legal profession so that only competent individuals possessing necessary basic knowledge of law may enter the legal profession for practicing law.
Therefore, henceforth a law graduate will only become eligible to apply to a Bar Council for enrolment as an Advocate if he/ she qualifies the Assessment Test to be conducted by the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan having been so authorised by the Pakistan Bar Council, pursuant to the aforementioned Order of the Hon'ble Supreme Court and read with Section 26 (cc) of Legal Practitioners and Bar Council's Act 1973.
Test Category: Law Graduate Assessment Test (LAW-GAT)
Other Requirements for Appearing in the Test
- Applicants are required to submit copy of LLB degree. In case LLB degree has not been issued, the applicant may submit detailed transcript of marks certificate of LLB (final year) examination.
- Applicants will have maximum of three chances to clear the test, HEC will conduct the Test thrice a year.
- Applicants will have to meet other criteria, if any, as per rules and regulations of the Pakistan Bar Council
- 50% score is required to qualify the Assessment Test.
Date of Test
- The date of test will be communicated through Roll Number slips ISMS.
- Roll Number slips will be sent on provided postal addresses to those applicants who registered on NEC online registration process.
- SMS will be sent for test date, time and venue.
Persons having passed LLB (final year) examination from a university recognised by Pakistan Bar Council are eligible to apply for (LAW-GAT).
Details of Test Centres
Applicants may select any test centre from the list available on HEC website, however for their own convenience, they are advised to choose a test centre nearest to their residence/ district of domicile.
How to Register for Law Graduate Assessment Test
- Please visit the following link: http://etc.hec.gov.pk for online registration
- In case there is any issue during online registration, please visit HEC Secretariat and regional centres in Quetta, Peshawar, Lahore, and Karachi for guidance or email at email@example.com
- Test fee of Rs. 3000/- is to be deposited online or through bank draft in the Account No. 01127900567403, Account Title: Higher Education Commission, Bank Habib Bank Limited, Branch Code: 0112
- Applicants are required to submit/courier copy of their LLB degrees/ detailed transcripts of marks certificates of LLB (final year) examination and deposit slip/ bank draft at Room No-212, 2nd Floor, HRD Building-HEC, H-8 Islamabad
- Deposit amount of test fee is non-refundable/ non-transferable.
Deadline for Online Registration
Last date for online registration is Friday, January 4, 2019