An Introduction to Assistant Superintendent Jail (ASJ) Exam
Assistant Superintendent Jail (ASJ) or Lady Assistant Superintend Jail (LASJ) is a government post of grade-16. The Prisons Department, working under Home Department, Government of the Punjab, hires ASJs and LASJs to fill its vacancies according to male & female quotas. Posts are usually announced once in a year through Punjab Public Service Commission (PPSC).
PPSC invites applications from eligible candidates to appear in ASJ/LASJ Exam. Firstly, written test is conducted and passed-candidates are asked to appear in an interview. The aspirants, who cleared their written test and interview, are recommended to Prisons Department by the PPSC for their appointment against the posts of Assistant Superintendent Jail and Lady Assistant Superintend Jail.
If you are eligible and interested in uniformed-job, it's a good career opportunity to apply. The following is eligibility criteria:
Educational Qualification: Bachelor's degree (minimum 2nd division) with any subjects from recognized university.
Gender requirement: Male and female are eligible but both have their separate quota of vacancies.
Physical Standard: Following physical measurements of candidates are required respectively:
Vision: Both Right and Left Eyes: 6/6 without Glasses
Height (female): 158cm & maximum weight 70Kg for 158cm height and 2Kg plus for each extra 3cm height
Height (male): 173cm
Chest (male only): 85cm without expansion and 90cm with expansion
Health: Medically fit.
Age limit: 20-27 years (the department may allow age relaxation)
Domicile: Only those candidates can apply who belong to any district of the Province of Punjab.
Syllabus for ASJ Examination:
This is a graduation level exam comprising questions relating to the following disciplines:
- General Knowledge including current affairs, geography.
- Pakistan Studies
- Islamic Studies (Ethics for non-Muslims candidates)
- Everyday Science
- Urdu language
- English language
- Basic Mathematics
- Basic Computer Studies
The exam is conducted with general criteria. A single mixed paper (MCQ type) written test of 90 minutes duration is held. Total marks of the paper are 100. 15-20 marks are fixed for the portion of Islamic Studies and Urdu language questions and remaining marks about other mixed questions consisting of Pak Studies, English, Current Affairs and General Knowledge. The paper may also include questions about math, basic computer and jails or general jail terminologies. Negative marking may be observed with 0.25 marks for each wrong answer.
Place of Posting: Successful candidates can be stationed anywhere in the Province of Punjab to perform their official duties.
Pay: Salary of Basic Scale-16 along with Prisons Department's allowances and other Punjab government employees' financial benefits.
- The post has good protocol
- Grade-16 pay along with Elite Allowance, Security Risk Allowance and other government allowances which make salary lucrative.
- A four-wheel official conveyance with maintenance is provided
- A comfortable official residence is provided
- Local and International training/ learning tours are offered by the government
- Sensitive/ responsible duty nature
- Unscheduled duty-timings
- Day and night duties
- Make personal life reserved/ time-limited
Hierarchy of Prison Officers:
- Inspector General of Prisons (BS-21)
- Additional Inspector General of Prisons (BS-20)
- Deputy Inspector General of Prisons (BS-20)
- Senior Superintendent Jail (BS-19)
- Superintendent Jail (BS-18)
- Deputy Superintendent Jail (BS-17)
- Assistant Superintendent Jail (BS-16)
Tips for Preparation of Exam:
- Prepare your Pak Studies, Islamic Studies, Everyday Science, Urdu & English subjects upto graduation level
- Build general knowledge, current affairs and IQ questions
- Learn about basic math and computer sciences
- Learning about Prisons Department, its history, functions and importance
- Learning somewhat about Prisoners/ Prisons Acts, Rules & Regulations and Ordinances
- Learn how many Central Jails, District Jails, Sub Jails, Women Jail, Borstal Institution and Juvenile Jails are there in the Punjab Province
- Learn questions about general jail-terminologies
- Build personal development and communication skills to appear and win interview
- Practice past papers ASJ Exam to enable yourself to attempt real paper within given time-stipulation
Sample Questions about Jail Terminologies:
Sometime paper contains questions related to prisons. List of generally asked questions is below:
- How many jails are there?
- What is prisoner (qaidi)?
- What is remission?
- What is simple imprisonment?
- What is regression imprisonment?
- What is juvenile?
- What is age limit of juvenile?
- How many jails are there for male, female and juvenile prisoners separately?
Punjab Jail Department Official Website: https://prisons.punjab.gov.pk/
sir please guide me is ka exam kb hota ha
Sir kindly tell me that assisstant supritendent of jail ki posts kab aa rhi hain??
Informative dear. Please suggest me something more my interview is about to be conducted for this post by SPSC.
Sir is there any chance for the vacancies of ASJ(punjab prisions) in 2020..?